Long journey to a “complete” game of CoC

It has taken me a while to get enough elements to prepare a “complete” Chain of Command game. Obviously the adjective “complete” may have different meanings to many people. In my case, I consider a “complete” game when I’m able to play a TooFatLardies Pint Sized Campaign. So, when I have enough stuff to deploy two base platoons plus diverse supports in addition to a properly made terrain and attractive game markers that cover most common situations.

Spring-Winter 2019

The tortuous path began three years ago, in spring 2019. At that time I decided to immerse myself in historical figure wargaming as an excuse to spent less time in front of screens. Back then, my knowledge of the hobby was extremely limited. I had only played some Fantasy Warhammer in late 1990s. Few years ago I had discovered Bolt Action WW2 models in a Stockholm store, Science Fiction Bokhandeln. My natural first step was to order their “Band of Brothers” starter set. 

Unfortunately due to courier issues it took a while to arrive. Enough for me to take advantage of Warlord Games sprue sale and purchase way too many sprues for almost all possible WW2 theaters. Big mistake. I first built a US Paratrooper and a German Grenadier forces.

My base German Grenadier platoon (WIP).

To get to know the rules, I watched multiple videos of gameplays in YouTube. One channel stood out over the rest, Tactical CP. There I discovered Chain of Command. After watching a couple videos I was amazed of how much more accurate it was in depicting modern warfare. While Bolt Action felt like a competition oriented arcade game with a WW2 “skin”, CoC felt like a proper simulation of WW2.

Making the rule-set switch was not easy. It took me some time to convince my main gaming partner. Finally they conceded, so I started slowly adapting my Bolt Action forces to depict the realistic platoon order of battle of Chain of Command. In addition I rebased them from Warlord Games plastic 25mm bases to 24mm metal washers -to give them more heft and be able to have a magnetized storage-. 

After a couple of games Grenadiers vs US Paratroopers, I realized that the disparity of forces made it hard for my partner to learn the rules. That’s why I created a British force, as it’s structurally closer to the German Grenadier platoon. At that time I played in a 4x4 feet table as I lacked anything better, so the fights felt quite close quarters.

Spring ‘21

At the beginning of 2020 with the Covid-19 craze I was forced to take a break from wargaming. Fast forward to the first months of 2021 I managed to go back on the wargaming saddle. At that time I bought a couple of magnificent gaming mats from Deep Cut Studios and a 6x4 feet table. That way I would be able to play the games with enough space. 

The bigger table felt quite empty so I expanded my collection of scarce terrain acquiring new trees, also buildings from Sarissa and Charlie Foxtrot, and even some small stuff from Warbases. Warbases has excellent “1-man movement trays” that are perfect to highlight the junior and senior leaders. Leaders are the base of the Chain of Command -and most TFL- rules, so I found it imperative to have a way to make them stand out on the field. 

At that time I found out that setting small teams and MG teams in a moving tray eases the game and allows us to identify and move them quickly on the table. Triangular 3-men bases for MGs and circular 3-men trays for bulkier supports like light mortars, finally a 2-men base for small teams. They are small enough to fit in most terrain, not affecting much the game. Rifle teams I deploy them individually as being the maneuver element they usually need to fit in tighter spaces.

Unfortunately in Summer 2021 I had to take another break from wargaming because of the birth of my first child. Parenting and work took all my time for many months. Finally in September 2022 I was able to stabilize my agenda and have some free time. 

My British late war platoon (WIP).

Fall ‘22

This fall I tried to make out for the lost time by purchasing a series of 3D printed buildings by Patrick Miniatures and few more trees. I also crafted multiple supports I had on storage (engineer 3-men teams, AT guns, etc.).

Hopefully soon I’ll be finally able to complete my project to be able to play the TooFatLardies Operation Martlet Pint Sized Campaign. I’m now waiting for the arrival of few more tanks and support teams from Warlord Games as well as some extra hedges and fields I ordered from Etsy.

Future plans

While I consider my base forces soon to be finished, there are plenty of updates that I have planned for them. The addition of new support vehicles like the Stuart light tank and additional artillery guns. Add extras to my German platoon to be able to field Volksgrenadier squads. 

Another addition that would be much needed is an AA vehicle or gun for the Germans to play the last scenario of 02 Hundred Hours. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an incredible journey! Always awesome seeing someone take their first steps into TooFatLardies rules. I'm looking forward to reading more about your Operation Martlet campaign; that was my first one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay. I was unable to comment due to my browser security settings.

      I appreciate your comment. Hopefully soon I’ll be able to tell a bit more about the preparation for the campaign.

      Delete

Back in the saddle

Brief update.  After a 4-month break due to health and work issues, I'm finally back in the saddle. The silver lining of such a lengthy ...